Routing A Truss Rod Channel

Hey folks,

I'm a few weeks from starting construction on my first neck...and I wonder if you guys could offer some advice as to the various popular methods of routing a truss rod channel.

The way I see if, I can get a smaller pattern following bit for my router (the one I have is 1/2") and route using a template.

Or I can run the blank through my tablesaw using a wide blade...and glue in blocks later.

Any other options?

-Frank

Any other options?

What I've done: I use the edge guide attachment on my router --assuming the sides of your neck blank are square, this makes it easy to route in a nice straight line. I also used this methods for routing the channels for the carbon fiber tubes I installed. I have a bit that routes a perfect-sized channel for the trussrod I'm using. Use shallow passes until you reach the depth you need. Adjust the width and depth of the channel for the nut end, and you're done.

Really, I can't think of an easier method. Practice on scrap first, of course.

I've always found it easier to route the truss rod channel after i've done the neck taper, so I can find the exact center of the neck where both anchors will sit (I use the Hot-Rod truss rods from Stew-Mac.). I'll then mark those areas, and set up a fence to have the router guide it by that. Works for me, and I never have any off-center truss rods which can cause problems down the road when you go to adjust them. :D

See ya

Chris

I used a tablesaw with a normal sized blade, and made passes until it was barely big enough for the truss rod to fit in. I used the stew mac hot rod, and you should definately use a double way rod as it is more functional and far easier.

The only problem with the tablesaw is that I didnt have much of a neck angle, so there was a groove in the headstock. Nothing a veneer couldnt fix. Also, you have to keep in mind that the blade is round, and will have to cut farther than the truss rod will go.

Of course, I only used this for lack of a router in my posession :D , so I have no experience with a router.

Just showing that you dont need expensive tools to build a guitar.

-Ryan

is it possible to make a guitar w/o a router?

dont tell me you chisel out cavities, if so you are a god! or incredibly foolish;

my method is the same somewhat as mick gaurd but with a jig.

i drop the neck into a 'rubbered pocket' so it dosent move, and i have straight edge on modified f-clamps

attached to the pocket, so it can move back and forth (so i only need one for all the different sizes)

and just mark out where you want it and run the side of the router along the edge;

i got this idea from the way i did my first bass way back; i just clamped a straight edge right to the bass that was already in rough shape(thru neck) and did the same thing running along the edge where i marked;

check one end of the cut,move your s.e. check the other end (move s.e.) and theres your perfect line