Clear Between Two Different Colors Of Nitro

I was thinking about that whole "nitro melts the layer undernieth it" thing which makes nitro good since it doesn't show lines between coats when sanded. HOWEVER if I'm going to have a coat of red, and then a masked out design on top of that in white. Would it be a good, bad, or simply neutral idea to put a coat or two of clear between and red and the white?

Chris

Don't sand whatever design you're painting, there's no reason to sand it. Go straight to the clear coats, build them up and knock it back. The continue with clear coating. Spraying one or two coat of clear between the two colors won't accomplish anything. What are you expecting it to do? Also, lighter colors under darker colors :D

Edited by AlGeeEater

You may also want to re-consider the order of your colors...

It will be a lot harder to get the white to cover the red, than to cover white with red.

Paint the whole guitar white, mask out your design, paint the red. Remove the mask, and your white graphic will appear.

I think his question is more along the lines of if he masks will the solvents mettle and mud the lines. Should he expect bleedover when using nitro? I have never worked with colors in nitro so I cannot answer, but wanted to clarify for him and me....

That's EXACTLY what I'm trying to ask sumphead, thanks. Also, don't worry, there's NO problem with me covering the red with white. I've already done this pain job once before, but sanded back and started again because I didn't like the type of red I used. Either way, the white covers the red NO problem. And the reason I do it this way is because the graphic is really small. It's kinda like a pin strip almost. so the tapew ould have been WAY to wide to ever mask off this design.

Either way, yeah... line meddling?

Also, what's the best way to get a NICE edge on the white? Last time my edge was kinda "eh" after I pulled off the tape. Better tape? Pull of the tape sooner? Razor the edge before taking off the tape? Razor the edge BEFORE spraying?

Thanks,

Chris

In the UK we have an automotive chain called Bancrofts, where "Fineline" tape is available. It comes on a roll, 1/4" width and is green in colour. Leaves a superb edge. Perhaps you could find something similar where you are.

That's the stuff.

When you remove the fineline tape, make sure that you pull the tape back along itself at a low angle.

The aim of this is to allow the tape to cut its own edge and thus provide a finer paint edge in doing so.

The only time you should be even contemplating using the razor method is if you have an excess of paint buildup along this edge, and you start to experience tear-out. (too much paint to cut its own clean edge.) :D:D