Question About Salvageability

Ok I have the Stew Mac Dual Fret Scale Template. Was making a jig today to handsaw frets using the template.

The Jig is pretty good except for one detail. The fret slots don't end up perfectly straight across the wood. I'm going to adjust the jig to correct this but here's the question.

I did a test using a poplar piece that is the exact size of a fretboard blank. The fret slots ended up being slightly tilted. One side is 1/64th off, maybe a tad less. Would this board still be usable or would it affect the intonation, etc too much. My inclination is to go ahead and use it for a practice one as the amount it's off is not too drastic and should be able to be accounted for with an adjustable bridge.

Just wanted to get some opinions from those way better than I am. Partially to see if I'm thinking the right way regarding how much an effect this would have.

Thanks in advance

someone may be quick to correct me but my first thought is that if your guitar will have a bridge with adjustable saddles you could compensate the intonation fairly easily if the slots are truly only 1/64" off.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I can't notice the slots being off unless I put a straight edge up to it. Going to fix the jig today so I don't have to worry about it on the next ones.

On the bright side I managed to make my notched straightedge for checking fretted fingerboards. Used the dual fret scale template to mark the straight edge. Then used a round file to notch the edge. Pretty handy tool.

I had a fretboard that I slotted out of perpendicular - which is what it sounds like you're describing - and simply took this into account when adding the taper to my fingerboard, so that after the taper, everything was correct. I was using a zero fret (at least, I made a slot for it, I may later saw this off or widen it and go with a standard nut, I haven't decided) so that made things easier - if you use the end of your pre-cut board for where the nut goes, I can see this not being a workaround.

If the frets are really *off* and not just non-perpendicular to your board's edge, then I guess this wouldn't apply.

In my case the frets are as accurate as the stew mac template makes them as far as distance between frets. The only issue is the frets being cut non-perpendicular to the board by a tiny amount. I may try to use your idea about taking into account when I cut the taper of the board. Should work in this case.

You should be able to compensate! I saw a custom builder site that cuts his frets angled (like the direction your fingers would naturally point if relaxed around a neck). He used a custom built bridge but again I agree you should be able to compensate.