Taiwan Inlay Blanks

verhoevenc

Hey, I was wondering if anybody has ever ordered anything from this AntonioTsai guy in aiwan. Yes I know how everyone is always talking about how the asian inlays are simply overlays and flake off etc. etc. and I don't play on buying anytthing actually inlaid by the guy. HOWEVER he does sell blanks too, and they look to be OK, claims they're all 1.255mm to 1.5mm thick, with both sides of the useable (ie: no bark on the back, etc.) and in many of the auctions he shows both sides. Anyone see ANYTHING wrong with this? Anyone ordered from this guy?

Chris

PS: Here's a link to some of his shell blanks:

Click Here

Oh, I know DePaule does, I have a $60 box from him that's supposed to arrive today actually ahahhaa.

However... $15 plus $13 S&H for 3.5 ounces of abalone!? Not even Andy can compete with that. Granted his has better figuring, but you don't need the BEST of every piece. Especially small abalon things. As for the thickness, I know what you're saying about the card stock, but this guy says these are 1.25mm thick!? That's real blank thickness?!

Chris

Oh, I know DePaule does, I have a $60 box from him that's supposed to arrive today actually ahahhaa.

However... $15 plus $13 S&H for 3.5 ounces of abalone!? Not even Andy can compete with that. Granted his has better figuring, but you don't need the BEST of every piece. Especially small abalon things. As for the thickness, I know what you're saying about the card stock, but this guy says these are 1.25mm thick!? That's real blank thickness?!

Chris

Chris,

Don't even think about using that for a fretboard. Well unless you are able to inlay with no finish sanding to speak of(I mean close!). You may be able to use it for flat surfaces, but you have to be spot on(no real room to sand smooth). Russ and I picked up an order from MOP Supplies(I have picked up two more orders since that initial order). It was a real good value and good quality. DePaule is better in terms of color matching and accuracy of cuts, but for blanks and dots MOP Supplies is about 1/2 the cost. Ask Russ if you would like a second opinion on quality.

Peace,Rich

I think everyone is talking about the thin sheet abalam stuff. Unless the guy is lying this is .05" to .06" and that is pretty standard thickness. The color on the bulk pile of MOP is pretty questionable, but on the smaller quantity slabs is look pretty good. For the price tag it's worth a shot.

Let us know if you get some.

Exactly what csuttle said, everyone's been missing the fact that they AREN'T the thin stuff, he advertises that they're 1.25-1.5 mm which is the same thicknesses you'd get from stewmac, etc. Either way, I'm curious, anyone interested in going into a joint buy on some of this stuff? Cause that way if it's good, we get sweet stuff for REALLY cheap, and if it's bad, whoever goes in on it doesn't lose as much. And I mean... it's 100gr of abalone for $15... that's about 3.5 ounzes!!! That's a REDICULOUS amount of abalone unless you're an inlay artist that uses it every day. Another good reason to get in on a joint buy. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Chris

Oh shoot. I was not reading that correctly. 1.5mm is what I use. Actually 1mm is also good for flats(without much heartache). Give it a try, sounds cheap(if 60% is junk it is still ok price).

P.S.MOP Supplies is $8.70 oz. mixed size white MOP 1.6mm. Large blank(awsome size) is 10.95oz. Just so you have their price to compair.

Peace,Rich

I was thinking more of getting the abalone than the pearl. Like you've shown, pearl is already very reasonablly priced over here. However, I find abalone gets a bit pricey and up there, hense why I wanna see what his abalone is like.

Any takers on the joint buy?

Chris

I was thinking more of getting the abalone than the pearl. Like you've shown, pearl is already very reasonablly priced over here. However, I find abalone gets a bit pricey and up there, hense why I wanna see what his abalone is like.

Any takers on the joint buy?

Chris

PM me Chris. Let me know what you want to do in a joint operation. I am always up to test new waters.

Peace,Rich