Maple Or Basswood?

Hey.. I am getting a bolt-on body made for me, and I was curious about wood

I have many Basswood bodies, having 3 RGs so I know their decent but not really bright, as I heard Maple is great and bright sounding

I am planning on putting a Dimarzio x2n in the guitar.. Which tonewood would you pick?

I am leaning towards Maple, but I never used it before.. but the maple is cheaper for me lol

Also, if anyone has a Jackson neck-joint pocket dimensions, That would be super helpful. Thanks!

if you have an x2n in the guitar you probably dont want maple, that thing would be brighter than the sun, if you have an x2n id say something like mahogany which would be more expensive, so you might want to change your pickup choice, unless you like really bright sounding guitars

It's very very uncommon for someone to use maple for the entire body of the guitar. Indeed, while I'm sure it's been done somewhere, I've never seen one. Maple is usually used as a "top" on a guitar, and is also used for necks and fingerboards.

Greg

I have an all maple guitar (body/neck) with the Fernandes sustainer system on, and its not that bright. I have compared the guitar with many others and its often less bright than many others...like an Ibanez basswood guitar with emg 81/85. I guess the fernandes pups are kind of bassy.

The sustain is fantastic! I often have to check if the sustainiac is on, even when its not.

And heres what all we maple enthusiasts love to say: George Lynch :D

Rickenbackers are all maple. Bright and jangly if that's yr thing. (although a lot of that, I imagine is the pickups.) I mean, plenty of bands have used a Rick to good effect.

I saw a guy use a Rick 620 (solid maple) through a Soldano for some super-fast shred-type stuff. Amazing tone, actually. Sort of a wierd image, as I'm used to Rickenbackers in the hands of bands like the Byrds or the Beatles or something. He broke a string and switched to a 360 (hollow body maple guitar). Still the amazing shred tone. As far as I could tell, these things had stock p'ups, too. I think a lot of tone is in the fingers.

And heres what all we maple enthusiasts love to say: George Lynch B)

...which is why my old Soloist (with the obligatory reverse explorer headstock :D) is a quilt maple top over plain western maple. Still sounds pretty good - not a terribly "warm" guitar - very good mid/high mid definition, but not overly bright. I like it a lot better than the basswood Charvel it replaced.

But my new build is mahogany/maple cap - I'm going for a little fatter tone nowadays :D.

Mike