New Project - D Ward

Here's a drawing of a new project I'm going to start.

I've tried to come up with an outline based on guitars I like, but with at least a petina of uniqueness.

Based on the upper cutaway, I thought I'd stick the name "Wave" on it for now.

I've stuck on my wooden hardware for tailpiece cover and pickup rings.

I'm thinking of using the same accent pattern as fret markers and center accent on the headstock.

i.e. Using the pattern over the entire length of the instrument.

dwardwave.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Be Cool,

d ward

Well, i really liked the details on your last one and it's good to see those themes kind of repeated. :D

With those fret markers you are thinking of that pickup ring shape...that would look very cool. I'd be inclined to consider making the bridge pickup ring rectangular perhpas as it is the reverse of the bridge and the tailpiece.

I'd also like to see the knobs rearranged, they look a bit too close and I'd like to see something other than the LP arrangement, maybe a cresent alignment, if that makes sense. For the shape I quite like it, but personally would like a more symetrical design (repeat the upper horn)...i know it may look like a yamaha or double cut LP...but an almost symetrical design is not it for me. Especially since the other elements are symetrical.

Also, perhaps hollow it out to save weight. But it is still a handsome guitar design as is and guitars always look beterr in 3D... looking forward to seeing this one... pete

psw,

Thanks for your input.

On the knobs, if I get you correctly you mean having them all in a row following the edge contour.

On my first guitar I made in '77 I did them that way: something to consider, I'll try a new drawing and see how I like it.

One thing I have been wondering though, on an Australian guitar do the tuners go, you know, the other way?

Be Cool,

d ward

On the knobs, if I get you correctly you mean having them all in a row following the edge contour.

One thing I have been wondering though, on an Australian guitar do the tuners go, you know, the other way?

Yes and yes...hahahaha :D

I did some more experiments with different configurations.

dwardwave2.jpg

For me the repeated upper cutaway looks too much like a dung beetle.

The repeated lower cutaway is too small and going between those would be more of a LP junior / 335 outline.

Not sure about the control placements, I need to draw up the arrangement and see how the wiring would work.

Plus, I want to use coil tap and 3 way switches, not sure where they should go.

Thanks for your input,

d ward

In my initial drawings I started with a PRS outline for the cutaways and began to adjust.

Agian, trying to end up with a unique shape that I felt had some flow to it.

And, the shorter and thicker I made the upper horn the more I liked it.

I'm going to try binding on this one also, so once I do some experiments going around those bends they may grow a bigger radius.

One thing I’m wondering on the upper horn is: Is the length more of an aestetic function or for balance.

Now, I know it’s both, but is there any school of thought as to how the CG relates to the strap positions.

I didn’t seem to find much searching for it.

Plus, I haven't spent much time exploring different electonics options.

Maybe, I'll consider using a system with less than the 4 pot setup.

Any suggestions.

Be Cool,

d ward

to be honest, i think if you did the same cutaways on either side, but lowered the treble side horn aboud 1/4-1/2 an inch to just offset them a little bit, it'd look awesome. also, i'd make the pickup rings either both rectangular, or move the bridge pickup and make the curve on the bottom of the bridge one too...with one with the wave, and one reverse, it just doesn't look right.

OK...here are a few modifications along the lines that I was thinking...

dwardwavepsw.jpg

The change of knob layout allows for more space for switching behind and access to a master volume for volume swells. This also repeats the more wave motif in a way (less boxy). If you use a master volume you could have independant toens for the mix position perhaps.

I have moved the upperhorn forward and slightly reshaped it a little to flow into the lower horn which is a duplicate of the old upper horn...again giving more of a flow like wave to the two horns.

I modified the bridge pickup ring too. It would be tempting to redesign this theme too to reflect the wave idea with asymetric "humps" and alternating them in an interlocking pattern...maybe all the way down the neck. Just a thought though.

The horns do have an effect on balance and how it hangs on a strap when standing. Some of the ergonomics are unique to the size of the player but in general it relates to the weight of the guitar. With this design with the neck well clear of the body but a substantial weight behind it may balance well. A strat's upper strap button is above the 12th fret! My inclination for various reasons is to chamber out the guitar to get the overall weight down, just like gibson are now doing with a lot of les pauls...i played one for years and years but it really was a burden on the shoulders and now I find the sound just a little too smooth...chambering may add a little more character to the sound and lower weight and improve balnce (as long as your neck isn't too heavy)...

so...an improvement? pete

The change of knob layout allows for more space for switching behind and access to a master volume for volume swells. This also repeats the more wave motif in a way (less boxy).

I definitely think the knob layout is an improvement - more strat-like and, as you point out, it makes volume swells possible. It also spreads them nicely which makes for easier adjustment.

The horns do have an effect on balance and how it hangs on a strap when standing. Some of the ergonomics are unique to the size of the player but in general it relates to the weight of the guitar.

so...an improvement? pete

Is that a reference to "ergonomics"? Now, I'll have to start making references to sustainers in my posts. :D

Pete,

Thanks, I do like the horns flowing together in a single curve.

Still think I would like a thinner lower horn, will play with the drawing and see what it looks like fullsize.

(I can see you like playing with graphics as much as I do.)

I did some hunting on the PG reference section, but all the wiring links seem to be dead. (I'll try some other possibilities later.)

The three pot system you show would be, master volume, tone, tone? Switches for coil-tap, three-way?

I like the look of the three knob setup.

I'm not really a guitar player so the mention of volume swells gave me a mental picture not appropriate to a "family friendly" board.

But, I think I see what you mean, I'll ask my player guru to clarify.

In thanks for your input here's a little story:

I teach at a rural school in Iowa, we have 350 kids, Kindergarden through grade 12.

We had an Australian exchange student last year.

When it came time for her to go home, I took a piece of flame maple and made her a boomerang, then all the staff signed it for her.

I told her that 1,000's of people may have boomerangs made in Australia, but she was now the only person on the planet with one made in Thornburg, Iowa. (pop. 84)

Thanks for your input,

d ward

Haha...now you got to watch it...boomerangs come back and a flame maple "ranger to the back of the head could really hurt :D

Well...if you turn down the volume control pluck a note, then bring it up it takes away the attack of the note...kind of a weeping sound. Also means less confusion in turning down with one volume. On the other hand two volumes allow you to mix the two pickups together, or set a different volume for each pickup position as on a les paul...some people really like that. Sometimes it is called "violining" as it creates a bowed sort of sound and if you use your little finger to operate the control it looks like you are bowing the string. The volume needs to be within reach to pick and swell the note and enough space around it but not in the way of the picking hand. A Les Paul is very tricky with it's layout compared to a strat say, for which it is a common technique.

You could have two tones (like a strat) or two vols or one of each and a rotary switch, or a variable coil split control (R.I. asked about that recently in the electronics section) which might be cool (turns down one of the humbuckers coils instead of just turning them off...interesting idea...you could use a dual pot to do this and still get humbucking in the mixed position...hmmm neato...save on switches too for coil taps...) As far as wiring goes, there is no limit but you want to see what it is you want the guitar to do and perform, what kind of purpose this guitar might be for.

Mainly though less is more and this format spreads it out and gives the controls more of a flow with the wave idea.

Maybe the original lower horn would be even more wave like with these subtle modifications to shape I've suggested...

It's an interesting design which with the solid and opulant build aesthetics you are capable and implied by the materials and detail, could have a kind of les paul style in a double cutaway format, without going too much towards the strat (as the PRS do)...a happy mix. Keep playing with the ideas... pete

Well, I talked this over with my player guru and here's what I think a the moment.

Master volume knob isolated for easy access.

Two tones with push-pull switches for coil tapping.

A three way, somewhere.

knobs.jpg

Be Cool,

d ward

Well, I talked this over with my player guru and here's what I think a the moment.

A three way, somewhere.

knobs.jpg

Be Cool,

d ward

Yes...I like this one. Smaller out of the way tones (not used very often) with separate coil tap functions is great. This would allow for some great variety in the mid (both pickups on) position. You could have a humbucker with an additional coil for color, or a bright bridge pickup for instance with a tapped and tone muted neck for instance. Such a sound could be preselected and be switched to simply by selecting the mid position. A bit more versitile than the Mcarthy and worth the extra knob. It does look a bit better too...don't you think?

You could put the selector back behind the bridge in the same cavity...neat!

It's taking shape... pete

That new idea is definatly more wavey.... I'd say go with it looks nice :D

It would be tempting to redesign this theme too to reflect the wave idea with asymetric "humps" and alternating them in an interlocking pattern...maybe all the way down the neck. Just a thought though.

Yep, that's a little more like I was thinking...of course a similar treatment of the tailpiece and I'd even take that wave to the block inlays...maybe even somehow into the headstock. You may wish to offset the maple strip even. You could still stick to the "humps" of the original but have them interlock from side to side perhaps.

Anyway....yes, now it's starting to get a little more personality. I'd have to see all the elements together really to have an opinion, but it does make the design more unique in a world of quilt tops...lol Not many solid color guitars on this site lately...

keep it up... pete

Here is the wood I'm planning at the moment for the body.

I'll use a top, center and back.

The center will be in three pieces with a hard maple block in the middle of two big leaf pieces.

The back has a hard maple center with flamed sides.

bodywoods.jpg

Be Cool,

d ward

A three way, somewhere.

knobs.jpg

Be Cool,

d ward

Looks great !! I like to see constructive planning...My question is: Well you gon'na make it or what? LoL ...Just joking there...looking forward to seeing your progress.... -Darkside

Here are the neck woods I'll be using.

The neck block is Birdseye maple, vertical grain with a Cocobolo center section and Wenge and Hard Maple laminates.

The fretboard is figured Katalox.

neckwoods.jpg

Be Cool,

d ward

• 4 weeks later...

I made myself a permanant template for this one, I hope to repeat it.

I inherited some 5/16 plexiglass, ok I fished it out of the trash at work, seemed like it would work well.

I added some 1/4 alignment holes that go through the center of the pickups.

I plan on using dowels to hold the top and center in alignment when clamping.

I'm going to rout the channels for the wiring in the top so they won't be too deep.

wavetemplate.jpg

Be Cool,

d ward