Pickup Location

Tidalwavetiburon

Im pretty sure is a prett stupid question, but I need to know. How can you tell the difference between a bridge, neck and middle pickup. See I was given three single coil pickups and I have no clue which is which. 2 of them have black and white wires and the other have a red and white set of wires. The other question is does it really matter which one goes where? Also one more question is these pickups were stuck together, does that hurt them in anyway shape and or form?

Im pretty sure is a prett stupid question, but I need to know. How can you tell the difference between a bridge, neck and middle pickup. See I was given three single coil pickups and I have no clue which is which. 2 of them have black and white wires and the other have a red and white set of wires. The other question is does it really matter which one goes where? Also one more question is these pickups were stuck together, does that hurt them in anyway shape and or form?

Another possibility is that all three pickups have the same output, and the one with the different colors is "reverse (magnetic) polarity, reverse wound". This is common in the "strat" world. In this case, the different one is for the middle and M-B and M-N will be humbucking.

Yeah, most likely the middle pickup is reverse wound/polarity. To figure it out, place the red/black face to face with both of the white/black ones. If they stick together, the red/black one is rw/rp and the middle position pickup.

Im just double checking here. I did what you said and all 3 stuck together, then I took the 2 black and white wired pickup and tried putting them together face to face and they didnt stick together, then I put the same 2 back to back (magnet to magnet) and they were pushing against each other. Now back to the red/white wired pick up, that one sticks to both of the other pickups front and back. So Im assuming you are correct, the red/white pickup is the middle one, but Im not sure? Also I noticed the on the 2 black and white wired pickups the 2 solder spots are the same, the negative wire is left joint and the positive is on the right side, but is reversed on the red/white pickup, Im not sure if that matters. I was also told to test them all with a mulitimeter. Here are the readings I got:

Black/White: 6.07 Ohm

Black/White: 5.93 Ohm

Red/white: 5.97 Ohm

So Am I correct in saying that the bridge pickup will be the 6.07 OHM the neck pickup will be the 5.93 Ohm and the 5.97 will be the middle pickup?