The Valkyrie

I've been working on this V(of my own design) for a while... there was a thread for it, but most of the info in it has become too old, and all of the picture links have broken. So, here's a fresh thread.

Basic Info

Carvin neck-thru (Maple with Ebony fretboard)

Mahogany sides

Black TonePros T-O-M Bridge

Black String-thru Ferrules

Black 3x3 Sperzel Tuners

Black Schaller Strap-locks

EMG-85 Neck

EMG-81 Bridge

1 Tone Control

1 Volume Control

1 3-Way Switch (Pickups)

I haven't yet confirmed my decision on the finish, but I was thinking about staining it black, then sanding back and staining with another color... maybe dark green. After that, I will clear-coat it with gloss poly lacquer. All of it will be brush-finished, because I don't have a spraying-machine... :D

Anyway, here is the most up-to-date picture. (taken today)

PikapuSkyles.jpg

(the tuners are in place only because I wanted to see how well they fit)

You can check some progress pics in this Photobucket gallery:

http://photobucket.com/albums/y123/Lietuvi...os%20gaminimas/

Edited by Lietuvis

Looks really good.

I like the lines and the little twist on the headstock.

Probably needs a warning label somewhere, you could take out an eye with that thing. (Or a kidney)

Plus, it's not a SomethingCaster, so you da man in my book.

Thanks for sharing,

d ward

Really nice looking guitar! I'll agree with rokeros on not painting it. You should consider a wipe on finish such as Danish oil. The woods do look really nice. It be shame to hide them. I think you'll also be happier with the quality of the finish since Danish oil wipes on and you don't have the right tools for a solid color (unless you use spray cans). I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I really appreciate it! :D

I hadn't really though about doing an oil finish, but it might be a good idea... is it possible to get a hard finish with it, or is it just something that would make the wood more resistant to moisture, etc?

Oh, and I forgot to add that there is still a lot of work to do before I get to finishing it! I still have to carve the bevels, flatten out the back(the Carvin neckthru sticks out about 0.7 cm), carve the heel into my desired shape, drill wider holes in the back for the string-thru ferrules(they are wider than the ones on the top), and do all the final sanding. So, still a long way to go...

Edited by Lietuvis

I just finished reading quite a bit about Danish oil finishes... I think I have been pretty strongly convinced to use it on this project. I think I'll go for Watco Danish Oil in the Natural Color... or maybe Golden Oak.

I just finished reading quite a bit about Danish oil finishes... I think I have been pretty strongly convinced to use it on this project. I think I'll go for Watco Danish Oil in the Natural Color... or maybe Golden Oak.

I've been reading quite a bit about them myself. They seem like a straightforward and simple way to get a good finish. I hadn't come across that they come in shades. :D I think your guitar is going to look great with it.

I was half expecting to see a honda motorcycle when i opened this thread

http://moto.by/articles/image/honda_valkyr...yrie_rune_1.jpg

Nice lookin guitar, I aggree with Maiden, it looks a little too bulky, but once the bevels are on it, I am sure it will look great ::D

As far as the finish, heck, if it where mine, I would go black bevels, that fade into a transparent green (so when you get about 3/4 of the way to the different wood, it is fully transparent green, and its the same on the other side)

Just my 0.02 CANADIAN cents :D

Curtis

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link, man, but if there's one finish that I wouldn't use on a V... it's a burst. :D

It just doesn't fit the style of a V. I've decided to go with a natural-ish finish... maybe Watco Danish Oil in the Golden Oak color... or some similar-colored stain with a water-based lacquer.

• 1 month later...