Possible Intonation Problem... But Different!

Hi Guys,

I have a slight problem on one of my 7 strings... it's currently tuned down 1/2 step from standard E.

Whenever I play open top E (Eb) it is in tune, when I play the 12th fret it is out of tune by 1/4 note higher and when I play 24th fret it is out of tune by slightly higher again...

I think it's an intonation problem, but it was fine before a few days ago AND CRUCIALLY when I play a top E 12th fret natrual harmonic, it is in perfect tune as when playing open string!

Anyone have any idea whats up? Thanks guys!

Was it in standard tuning "a few days ago?" That could have an effect. Also, how old are your strings and how much have you played it in the last few days. I recomend you put a new set of good strings on it and see if the problem persists, and to what extent it does, if so. It will be easier for us to point you in the right direction from that point.

peace,

russ

I think it's an intonation problem, but it was fine before a few days ago AND CRUCIALLY when I play a top E 12th fret natrual harmonic, it is in perfect tune as when playing open string!

Anyone have any idea whats up? Thanks guys!

On any string, no matter how far out the intonation is, the 12th fret natural harmonic will always be in perfect tune with the open string.

Compare the harmonic with the fretted 12th fret note. Adjust intonation accordingly.

Edit for extra thought: Do you have a floating tremolo?

Edited by JoeAArthur

Thanks for all the ideas everyone... when I get home later tonight I'll chuck on some new strings, then double check again - if it persists I'll try the intonation... I didn't think that the open and 12th harmonic would be in tune because the intonation is how "long" the string is from bridge to neck, so that if 12th fret is not bang centre then you are out of tune up there... I thought that would apply to harmonics too??

Anyways... I'll report back later! Thanks"!

Rule no:1 when it comes to intonation is to use new strings. Be sure to let them streach some before you check intonation.

I always put on new strings, tune up, strech the strings a bit by pulling them, tune again, let the guitar sit on a stand over night, and tune again. NO PLAYING, just tuning. As soon as you start rubbing the strings against the frets (thats esentially what you do when you play) the string is deformed by that contact. That deformation affects intonation.

I didn't think that the open and 12th harmonic would be in tune because the intonation is how "long" the string is from bridge to neck, so that if 12th fret is not bang centre then you are out of tune up there... I thought that would apply to harmonics too??

The 12th fret harmonic is based on.......

The open string.

They will always be the same.

You check intonation comparing open and fretted notes.

Good luck!