My First Build

ewog

I've just started building Strat-style guitar. It's has an alder body with a one-piece maple neck. The body style was traced from a Squier CBS Strat in a music store. The neck is my approximation (from memory) of a CBS headstock. I've purchased all the components from StewMac and Warmoth and the pickups are from Rio Grande.

I've got the body shaped and routed for the pickups and controls. I've been spending my time trying to find the dimensions for the Wilkinson trem route. I think I've got them from a PDF on the Warmoth site.

I've made a practice neck out of an oak stair tread just to get the feel of. I was pretty impressed with my first try. I just finished laying-out the real neck on a 2 1/8" thick piece of maple. This way, I can cut one neck, resaw the board on the bandsaw and end up with 2 necks. :D

I should mnetion that I own my own home renovation company and cabinet making is my trade. I have a fully equipped 1000 sq ft shop so tools aren't an issue, its actually doing it and having the finished product sound good.