Intonated Bridges

Okay, I was looking at this LP Jr. style wraparound bridge:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/lespajuwrinb.html

and I was wondering: since the bridge is already intonated like that, does it need to be installed at an angle like a normal adjustable bridge? In the sample picture (where it's installed), it looks like its installed perpendicular to the centerline of the guitar...

Anything that leaves a lack of adjustment is just bad. You wouldn't build a neck with no truss rod so why put a bridge on that is "barely" adjustable. Sure they look clean but playability is more important as I see it.

just my buck-O-five

They're designed to go on straight, IIRC. That's te way I put mine on, and it works just fine.

No, it's not adjustable, but if you've got a standard scale, and standard strings (particularly vis: relative to each other, so nothing too crazy like super heavy bottom and super light tops), it intonates just perfectly fine. No probs at all.

Hmm.. thanks mattia. That's what I was waiting for, sorta.. someone who actually has one :D

Was just looking for the most simple, clean looking solution to a TOM setup for my project - I don't like the idea of having to figure up an angle for a TOM. now here's another question, aimed at you mattia: exactly which 'saddle' of the bridge do I measure the scale length to?

I just put one back on my Melody Maker...and yeah, they're mounted straight and you use the adjustment screws to push the bass side back a bit.

Maybe it's not accurate to 0.0001 but I've read a lot of people saying that a big part of the LP Jr sound came from that bridge. I'm not sure if that's because of the material or because of the lack of adjustability --sometimes 'perfect' also rhymes with 'sterile'.

At any rate, there's a clear difference in sound between the Badass I took off and the wraparound I put on.

One issue I have with metal bridges is that I'm a real string breaker --the Badass has string saver saddles on it, which of course you can't put on this type of bridge.

I'm going to try sheathing the string ends in tubing like I did with my strat, maybe that will solve that problem.