Fret Height

jamesj

I done a search but couldn't find nothing that helped much.

first off this is a cheap ebay guitar to learn luthier tuning skills

When I was adjusting the bridge with my tuner, I noticed if I press the string I can change the note almost a half octave with just pressure. I think octave is the proper term example: I go from a solid E to almost an E sharp.

No pulling it out of tune/ string bending, just downward pressure.

Its on every note on the neck. I figure I need to lower the fret height, but I'm not sure how to accomplish this correctly without going overboard. would just a level job do the trick? Or would I need to measure each and get it to a precise height?

Thanks

JJ

Thats how every neck is, no neck will have strings that touch the fretboard, you just have to try and be consistant. Use just enough force to make the note with no buzzing, and just try to always do that. And I don't think that is an octave, I think an octave is like from an open E to the 12th fret, as they are both E but one is an octave lower. I'm not sure the of the word you are looking for, I just use step but I'm sure there is a technical term. Anyways I could be wrong on this post but thats what I thought. Later. Jason

Check the nut height first. You might be able to decrease the amount of distance the string has to bend when pressing down, in turn making notes sound a little less sharp. Sharpness is also decreased by using heavier gauge strings. And, the biggest culprit, is simply pressing too hard. :D But if you figure the frets are too high you could go here and take it from step 26 on. There is more than one way to do this so have a look around for different methods of fret levelling and dressing.

I understand all necks do it to a degree, but my Les Paul and my Yamaha are less than half of what this is, After playing this one a little I noticed a "scratchy" feeling when bending the high E string, I dont think they were leveled and polished correctly. I may just try that and see if it helps. I am used to playing with a hard press making chords, (the strings touching the fret board) When I do it on this one it sounds like crap. I may measure the actual height in the morning just to see if its in my mind or.... my ears. lol

yeah..half step...

i know what you mean.i built with the largest fret size i could find for a while.for some reason i thought that was better...but it doesn't work out for my grip...i am much too heavy handed.

if you can train yourself for a lighter touch you will be okay.

the scratchiness comes from poorly polished frets.get out the dremel with that tiny little buffing wheel and the buffing compound that comes in the kit(you may just need to buy the little buffing kit) and polish them until they are completely smooth...don't burn the fretboard.

you should tape the fretboard off

I'm slightly confused now?? I've heard a few people say that a string will almost never/never touch a fingerboard while playing a tune, and now I am hearing that fretheight can help to lessen the distance that a note goes sharp. If the string never touches the fretboard what difference would fret height make? Also I heard that when researching scalloped fretboards, that it's easier to push too hard, but if a string can't even bend enough to touch a fretboard at regular height, what difference would it be if there was no fretboard underneath? I guess it's about your finger touching, but it still doesn't mean that the string will travel any further. Oh well, maybe someone can clear this up for me. Jason

I'm slightly confused now?? I've heard a few people say that a string will almost never/never touch a fingerboard while playing a tune, and now I am hearing that fretheight can help to lessen the distance that a note goes sharp.  If the string never touches the fretboard what difference would fret height make?  Also I heard that when researching scalloped fretboards, that it's easier to push too hard, but if a string can't even bend enough to touch a fretboard at regular height, what difference would it be if there was no fretboard underneath?  I guess it's about your finger touching, but it still doesn't mean that the string will travel any further.  Oh well, maybe someone can clear this up for me. Jason

Scalloped or not, if you press too hard you can bend the string out of tune, unless your frets are really low. I use the big (wide tall) Dunlop frets and have no problem, but I'm not trying to choke the neck either. You only have to press hard enough to make string-to-fret contact. Any more effort than that is wasted and can bend the string out of tune, not to mention fatigue your hand.

I like the taller frets because they give you more fingertip room under the string - easier to bend (on purpose) the strings that way. But that's just my preference... your mileage may vary :D

Mike

I'm slightly confused now?? I've heard a few people say that a string will almost never/never touch a fingerboard while playing a tune, and now I am hearing that fretheight can help to lessen the distance that a note goes sharp.

Well, JJ admitted he grips the strings really hard. So do I --or I did, I'm learning to lighten my touch now. But I'll never have a superlight touch, and I'll always probably play down toward the fretboard to some extent.

So think about it-- if I'm pushing the string down against a low, flattish fret, the string will stretch a lot less than if I'm mauling a string down against a big tall jumbo. With the taller frets, more stretch = a sharper note.

So think about it-- if I'm pushing the string down against a low, flattish fret, the string will stretch a lot less than if I'm mauling a string down against a big tall jumbo. With the taller frets, more stretch = a sharper note.

You mean because your finger has more room to travel, because if a string will not touch a fretboard of regular height then adding more height wouldn't make a difference, because it can't even touch a normal height fretboard. So I guess if there is more room for your fingers then the string can be pushed further? Just seems weird that the fret height would matter because it doesn't even touch on a low one, but I guess it's all about room for you finger to travel further so it's easier to put more pressure on the string. I never had an issue with it, I play soft and I must say when you are trying to play with any speed, soft is the only way to go, by expending more energy by pressing hard you end up taking more time and making yourself tired more quickly, I can play much faster with a light touch. Although when I started I played very heavy.

You mean because your finger has more room to travel, because if a string will not touch a fretboard of regular height then adding more height wouldn't make a difference, because it can't even touch a normal height fretboard.  So I guess if there is more room

string.  I never had an issue with it, I play soft and I must say when you are trying to play with any speed, soft is the only way to go, by expending more energy by pressing hard you end up taking more time and making yourself tired more quickly, I can play much faster with a light touch. Although when I started I played very heavy.

Yeah, I was watching myself play tonight. I have no problem pressing the string all the way to the fretboard.

But like I said, I'm working on lightening my touch...it isn't easy...in the last year I've had to redevelop my pick grip and relearn my picking style...lots of bad habits from a long time ago...

Thanks for clearing that up, it just seemed weird to me but I understand now. And one question I have is what would you guys prefer scalloped vs. tall frets? Basically they seem to do the same thing except with one you don't have to tear into your fretboard. Jloc

My strings touch, and my hand does get to hurting, I purchased a grip improver/work out thingy and it helped my fatigue. That may be why my lead playing is slow, I think the 12th and up frets may be good tall (or scalloped), (speed me up) but I have to lower the first 5 atleast, I just cant get use to it, and if I did I wouldn't be able to play my LP.... without refretting it. I guess scalloping can "personalize" to a paticular player.

Thanks for clearing that up, it just seemed weird to me but I understand now.  And one question I have is what would you guys prefer scalloped vs. tall frets?  Basically they seem to do the same thing except with one you don't have to tear into your fretboard.  Jloc

Some guitars come with tall frets. But if the guitar doesn't and that's what your really want...