Making A Truss Rod

jamesj

I'm wanting to make as many parts as possible myself, Now its time for the truss rod, I know they arent expensive but its the "satisfaction" thing. I saw one page where the guy bent a threaded rod and made one, is that acceptable? I'll post the link if it would help. Or if someone makes their own and wants to share the knowledge!

thanks

I make all my truss rods and it's even easier than example shown. Note that John's example is for a rear access nut only. You can't use that style for a headstock access. What you can use is a straight bar that is bent on one end and tapped on the other. Koch has an example of this in his book. Also stew mac sells it this way. Traditional Truss Rod Kit

Compression Truss Rod

3/16th steel rod

propane torch

10-32 die

10-32 nut I buy these 6 for 6 buck, cheaper than the local hardware store.

You take the torch, heat up the end and put a bend or hook about 3/8" long on the end. Then thread the other end about 3/4". Add the nut and washer and you have a truss rod.

Installation

You have to make a curved truss rod channel channel. I take two boards and cut a curve, in both, that is 1/4" in the middle. Here's a shot of my set up. Make several passes to get a depth that is about 5/16" at each end. Drill a hole at the butt end for the hook to sit. Then route or carve your nut access on the headstock. You'll also need to make a convex fillet. That's the piece of wood that goes on top of the truss rod. It will be the same curve at the boards you used to get your curved channel route. I usually make this out of left over fretboard wood. Glue in the fillet and remove excess when dry.

It really isn't hard and costs almost nothing.

not quite sure if i did mine correctly but i got a steel rod and threaded one end in one direction and the other end in the opposite direction (so when i tighten the nut, the rod stiffens and straightens any inperfections) then i make two small holders for each end and use the tap of the same size to make a clockwise and counter-clockwise thread hole...those holders i made them from high strength steel bars.

not sure if i did it correctly but it seemed to work fine...its like the single action vintage style truss rod on stewmac http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Adj..._Truss_Rod.html

I make all my truss rods and it's even easier than example shown. Note that John's example is for a rear access nut only. You can't use that style for a headstock access. What you can use is a straight bar that is bent on one end and tapped on the other. Koch has an example of this in his book. Also stew mac sells it this way. Traditional Truss Rod Kit

Compression Truss Rod

3/16th steel rod

propane torch

10-32 die

10-32 nut I buy these 6 for 6 buck, cheaper than the local hardware store.

You take the torch, heat up the end and put a bend or hook about 3/8" long on the end. Then thread the other end about 3/4". Add the nut and washer and you have a truss rod.

Installation

You have to make a curved truss rod channel channel. I take two boards and cut a curve, in both, that is 1/4" in the middle. Here's a shot of my set up. Make several passes to get a depth that is about 5/16" at each end. Drill a hole at the butt end for the hook to sit. Then route or carve your nut access on the headstock. You'll also need to make a convex fillet. That's the piece of wood that goes on top of the truss rod. It will be the same curve at the boards you used to get your curved channel route. I usually make this out of left over fretboard wood. Glue in the fillet and remove excess when dry.

It really isn't hard and costs almost nothing.

Sounds just like what I want! Simple yet effective!

Frm the pic (kinda hard to get a good look) The "curve" goes downward correct?

and the fillet does it touch the truss rod? if so loose or tight?

Thanks!

JJ

(You ought to do a tutorial!)

Frm the pic (kinda hard to get a good look) The "curve" goes downward correct?

and the fillet does it touch the truss rod? if so loose or tight?

Yes, the curve goes down and the rod needs to be free in its cavity. The fillet will be pushing rod into the curved position. The idea is that it's curved in the neck and when you tighten the nut the rod is straightening its self. Thus correcting any neck bow. That's the idea at least. I'll document the next one I do.

Hughes - You have made a two-way compression truss rod. Do you have any pics? I like the compression rod, but it would save a step not routing the curved channel.

• 1 month later...

I made a truss rod out of cheap supplies you can buy at menards, I'll take pics and post up a tutorial if people are interested, but I used 1/4-20 threaded rod, that square tubing with only 3 sides, a 1/4-20 coupler, a nut, some super glue and a little bit of tape to wrap around the rod. The threaded rod came in a 6 foot length for a buck, same with the square tubing, the coupler was about $5 for 3 and well a nut I had lying around, some measuring you can make 3 truss rods for a total of about $8, AND mine looked A LOT better than that one, mine looks like your traditional truss rod!!!!! :D

I quickly posted a tutorial of it on my site, have a look, let me know what you think, I'll also post a new thread maybe it'll get pinned!!!

[url=http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=20028

Edited by dirtyrobinson