Buliding Guitar For Newbie

...........I dont think you can find a saga for that  :D

Sure you can. Even less. Here, for example

I think what he meant was that SAGA doesn't make a kit for a V. For this go around I'll probably find a body, then a neck, and go from there. The SAGA is okay for a first timer because you can learn (by doing) how it all goes together. It will not teach you any Luthier skills (doing inlays, routing, etc.) but it will give you an overview of how one is assembled. My V will not be really 'built' but more like 'assembled'. But what I'm trying to gain from this one (that you don't get from the SAGA) is that this one I will buy pickups and wire it myself. The next project will involve use of a router. I'm creeping up on this slowly. At the moment I'm hunting a neck (24 3/4" scale with the traditional V headstock). :D

Howdy,

I just received my fancy new pre made "stratocaster type body" i purchased off ebay.  With the excitement of a child at christmas i tore the packaging open, and found a black and shiney stratISH body.  to my amazement it came with a pickguard. great i think, so i pull out the pre wired pickguard i bought, my new tremolo bridge and got ready to attach.  oh no wait. this thing is a piece of crap. 

1. the pickguard was the wrong shape.

2. the routing didn't fit the pots

3. the holes were misalligned

4. the tremolo cavity was too narrow and thus useless

5. the holes in the pickguard didn't fit the screws

6. the holes for the bridge were too narrow and also too shallow

7. the "bathtub routing" went so deep the body was paper thin between the rear and front routing

8. the jackplate actually fit to my amazement

9. the neck socket was crap. nice and tight, but useless. small gaps here and there. terrible

10. when i attempted to attach my non functioning tremolo springs the screws ripped out of the body (ouch that one hurt) this revealed a large crap going horizontally through the body.

crap crap crap crap crap

moral of the story.  build it yourself, or buy a real one. don't buy it on ebay, there's a lot of crap out there.  avoid "acoustic angel" on ebay and don't be as naive as me.

bouli

thats what you get for getting a strat body with the worst tremolo system ever invented

Howdy,

I just received my fancy new pre made "stratocaster type body" i purchased off ebay.  With the excitement of a child at christmas i tore the packaging open, and found a black and shiney stratISH body.  to my amazement it came with a pickguard. great i think, so i pull out the pre wired pickguard i bought, my new tremolo bridge and got ready to attach.  oh no wait. this thing is a piece of crap. 

1. the pickguard was the wrong shape.

2. the routing didn't fit the pots

3. the holes were misalligned

4. the tremolo cavity was too narrow and thus useless

5. the holes in the pickguard didn't fit the screws

6. the holes for the bridge were too narrow and also too shallow

7. the "bathtub routing" went so deep the body was paper thin between the rear and front routing

8. the jackplate actually fit to my amazement

9. the neck socket was crap. nice and tight, but useless. small gaps here and there. terrible

10. when i attempted to attach my non functioning tremolo springs the screws ripped out of the body (ouch that one hurt) this revealed a large crap going horizontally through the body.

crap crap crap crap crap

moral of the story.  build it yourself, or buy a real one. don't buy it on ebay, there's a lot of crap out there.  avoid "acoustic angel" on ebay and don't be as naive as me.

bouli

thats what you get for getting a strat body with the worst tremolo system ever invented

got it up n running. it's not perfect, but since my other guitar's not comin home anytime soon it's fine. the new pickups are bright and crispy clear.

since you mentioned the worst tremolo system ever invented, any ideas on improving it? how to make it work?

bouli