Bolt-on To Semi Set Neck

one of the guys at my local shop said that i can convert my lp copy from a bolt on neck to a set neck. is this even possible?

what he said to do is to take the axe apart and sand both the inside of the neck joint and the part of the neck that sits in it. make sure all the finish is off and take some epoxy (forget which one he said to use) and glue it up. he said i would probable need to keep the plate and the screws but it would work and sound like a set neck.

does any one else know anything about this? whats the exact process i should use? and will it really help the sound of my axe? what glue epoxy should i use?

There's no good reason for you to do this and ruin the convenience of being able to take your neck off should you ever need to replace it.

Greg

i would not do it....i HAVE done it,but as greg said there is no GOOD reason.

first of all,a set neck should be a tight joint...which you will never get after you remove the finish...

greg...comments like the crack thing are not acceptable...please refrain from using insults in the future,even if they are directed to an unknown third party

It may not be advisable, but I'm going to try something similar on my next project. :D

The big difference is, I'll be routing my own neck pocket, so I can make it nice n' snug. I also plan to reshape the heel of the neck into a (edit) tenon.

But I'm not doing this for any supposed advantages in tone, sustain, whatever--because frankly I don't believe there are any.

On the other hand, there's a comfort and look to a set neck --that's what I'm going to try to achieve.

I might chicken out a bit--I'm imagining a narrower, recessed plate, or perhaps 3 to 4 ferrules, using shorter screws to give the joint more grip. But I'm not so sure that's necessary either.

At any rate, I'm planning on failure for my first attempt and I'm looking around for a practice neck...

Now, if you really wanted to do this, then here's what I do (keep in mind that I'm not expert at this, I'm just a beginner with strange ideas):

I'd strip the existing neck pocket and heel of the neck. Then I'd cut a block of similar wood and fill the neck pocket, then reroute that for a tenon-- then reshape the neck heel into a matching tenon.

But as long as you're doing that, you really should reshape the back of the neck, to eliminate the bulky bolt-on part. In which case you're looking at refinishing the guitar.

Tell you what...take off the neck and just build a new body.

greg...comments like the crack thing are not acceptable...please refrain from using insults in the future,even if they are directed to an unknown third party

Fair enough.