Can It Stand The Heat -

RGGR

Quick question. Can guitar body (electric guitar body) stand the heat of 165F.

Question was asked by company I asked to finish one of my guitars. They have cool finish I want them to apply to my guitar.......and coat is protected with urethane clear coat. To bake this clear coat....the body needs to be heated to 165F.......quick calculation makes that 73 Celcius.

Would that cause any problems????

Quick question. Can guitar body (electric guitar body) stand the heat of 165F.

Question was asked by company I asked to finish one of my guitars. They have cool finish I want them to apply to my guitar.......and coat is protected with urethane clear coat. To bake this clear coat....the body needs to be heated to 165F.......quick calculation makes that 73 Celcius.

Would that cause any problems????

I would dare say it's more to do with the glue used if it's more than a one piece body. Titebond ranges from 120f - 165f in testing for 20 hours so I would say....hmmmm maybe? :D

My mom works for a powder coating company that tried to apply their product to guitars, but when baking the wood, though properly dried, sweat and ruined the finish. I dont know any of the specifics of the problems, but all I know is I got two free guitar bodies out of the hundreds they were throwing out. It was a deal for me

My mom works for a powder coating company that tried to apply their product to guitars, but when baking the wood, though properly dried, sweat and ruined the finish.  I dont know any of the specifics of the problems, but all I know is I got two free guitar bodies out of the hundreds they were throwing out.  It was a deal for me

Powder coating is done at 300 plus degrees F. And usualy when automotive paint is baked is for not more than an hour. I still don't see the point for baking it, since if it is mixed propertly it will still cure nice, unless it's for the ability to make more jobs daily.

2 part urethane needs to be baked at alot more than 73C, most body shops bake at 90 to 120C. But they don't bake long, an hour tops, a guitar probably less, but you don't have to bake 2 part urethane, 24 hour cure and it's ready for sanding and buffing, after about 48 hours it's fully cured. Biggest issue with baking the body is the wood expands and contracts so grain lines will show through, no big deal if you're going to sand and buff anyway, except that once baked sanding and buffing becomes a much more difficult task.