String Through Body?

I am getting set to design my first guitar. I want it to be a hard tail, and I really like the look of string through body (see http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=1 for an example). I can't find a lot of info on this type of bridge, however. I have a couple of questions:

- I assume that there is some kind of insert in the drilled hole to anchor the string. What is this called, and where might I find it? I haven't found anything on the web.

- What are the disadvantages to doing this versus a tail stop?

Thanks!

~john

You'll need top and bottom ferules,well,some folks don't use top ferrules,but it can cut into the wood if you don't.

One thing that you can do is use a small piece of tubing cut to a small length that is wider than the string but smaller than the ferrule.You'll have to do some carefull measuring so it isn't so long that it allows the ferrules to seat flush,(some people like to counter-sink the ferrules).

You may want to cut the tubing slightly,(but not much),shy to allow for any contraction of the top.This doesn't happen very often but it can happen.

Some use tubing,some don't I just finished a guitar without it and it works fine.But if you do use the tubing maybe use a soft metal of a plastic,useing something like surgical could result in the string getting caught during insertion-very annoying.

Remember to allow for a decent spacing between the t-o-m and the top ferrule so the string isn't at an extreme angle.