My First Guitar,

• 3 months later...
What scheme do you think i should use.

Maple on Mahogany body with mahogany neck ebony fretboard

or

Maple on Mahogany body with flamed maple neck with flamed maple fretboard?

I think you should go for the second option mahogany will be to heavy to use as a neck and you'll end up with a neck heavy guitar. Just out of intrest where would you get the flamed maple fretboard from??? Noddy :D

I think you should go for the second option mahogany will be to heavy to use as a neck and you'll end up with a neck heavy guitar.

Why do you say that? That's certainly not the case. :D A fender style neck made from mahogany may need to be re-enforced but it would certainly not make a neck heavy guitar. I doubt you could even tell the difference weight wise.

I think mahogany is lighter than maple, at least thats what I thought. I say go with the first one. That sounds like it would be a great combo! Although both sound fine.

I love flamed maple, actually all figured maples, but the flamed never seems to stand out enough in the neck, in my opinion. Birdseye seems to a little better. I really like the look of laminate neck more. You could do mahogany/walnut/maple/walnut/mahogany. Or just use mahogany where the maple is too. There is endless options with laminates, have you ever thought about going that route? Good luck with whatever you choose! Those are all good woods! Later. Jason

Misinformation is worth less than no information, noddy. Most of the mahogany that anyone on this board will ever handle is going to be less dense(and therefore lighter) than maple.

wood densities

As you will see, maple is denser than honduran mahogany and can be(but is not always) denser than african mahogany. Most of us use honduran, it's easier to obtain.

I say go with the mahogany neck on the maple/mahogany body. Tele looks with a LP sound, mmmm.

Edited by thegarehanman

Misinformation is worth less than no information, noddy. Most of the mahogany that anyone on this board will ever handle is going to be less dense(and therefore lighter) than maple.

wood densities

As you will see, maple is denser than honduran mahogany and can be(but is not always) denser than african mahogany. Most of us use honduran, it's easier to obtain.

I say go with the mahogany neck on the maple/mahogany body. Tele looks with a LP sound, mmmm.

thats bollocks,

maple is nowhere near as heavy as mahogany, an example, my first guitar i made was a solid body tele with mahoganybody and maple neck, that thing weighs about 10-12 kg's, about 9 of that is body the other 1-2 is the neck. there is roughly 2 times more wood in the body.. so the equivelant amount of maple would be about 4.5kg give or take some.

luke

:D

edit: this may have come across as agressive, and i apologise if it offends anyone, and i really like the word bollocks

Edited by where's the beef???

Densities don't lie. It is possible, though, that you don't have honduran mahogany. If you looked at the chart, other species of mahogany were sometimes more and sometimes less dense than maple. More density(and same volume) means more mass.

I just did a bench test for you. I took my all mahogany LP and weighed it, it weighs 9.1 pounds(4.14 Kilos); that's a solid body with all of its hardware. I also have an all maple fender strat with a fixed bridge; that weighed in 9 pounds even(4.09 Kilos). The strat has a belly carve and an arm carve, and the LP has an arched top. Both are standard dimensions. Therefore, the LP has more wood. Since they both weight (approximately the same); in this case, mahogany would see to be less dense than maple. By the way, the cumulative weight of the hardware on the LP is definitely heavier than that of the strat.

So obviously saying that mahogany is lighter than maple is not a be all, end all rule. However, it's in no way "bollocks."

...and I always thought it was spelt "bullocks." Hmmmm, you learn something new everyday. :D

Edited by thegarehanman

mahogany and maple are similar in weight in most cases...but the mahogany IS generally a bit lighter...unless the law of gravity is different in my house.

besides...since the body is to be mahogany and maple,and it is to be a strat shape,it will balance just fine...alder bodied strats balance fine,and alder is MUCH lighter than either mahogany or maple

Maple is more dense and heavier than mahogany. I speak from experience in working with both woods. There is a lot of scientific data that show the greater weight and density of maple over mahogany (hoduran, african or korina).

Silver leaf maple is the only type of maple that could be ligher than regular maple. Compared to mahogany, I don't know.