My Archtop Project

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The photo works fine, nice work so far.  Give us the full story!  The "in progress" section here is but one of the ways in which PG is a big improvement on the MIMF.

Cough ...Provided you've got your own image server... cough.

Better is a matter of opinion, so can we just plump for 'different' please?

Good to see you Donald - I enjoyed seeing your CNC experiments over at the MIMF - and the archtop is looking great!

Thanks all, I'll get more pictures up soon, I just had to figure out the "network" seemed to work fine. The archtop is an experiment to see what could be done with a cnc machine. So far almost every aspect of this guitar was dome by cad,cnc. 2d, 3d drawings, toolpathing, profile cuts, carving front and back, jigs and fixtures... I have pictures of every step of the project, I just need to get organized (ha ha...) The top is "cat scratch spruce" available at most lumberyards commonly referred to as 2x4. I didnt want to screw up expensive tonewoods in the learning curve. sides and back are cherry I had lying around in the shop, neck too. The neck in the pic is pine just a prototype to test fit scale fretboard color... F holes are a combination of Gretsch and Guild, gretsch style fat body and guild holes, a little more stretched out. I want an old school look, western swing roadhouse. More to come, thanks, dkw

Nice work DKW...not having done it, I can imagine there's a significant bit of artistry that goes into writing a good 3D code for this stuff. Pretty cool.

...and I didn't mean to dis the MIMF, there are plenty of things the MIMF does better than PG. As guitars go, they are pretty complimentary actually.

And if a dedicated photo server and software upgrade is all they need....man....they should drop a dime. Though the text-driven feel of it all does kinda go along with their vibe...

Donald,

Good to see you here. I was following your work on the MIMF, as I am building with a cnc also.

I just had a couple of questions about you fret slotting operation. Are you cutting your slots with a flat bottom or do the slot follow the radius of the board? Also what diameter is your cutter?

Could we see some pics of your machine?

thanks for the compliments, I've almost got the old pics into a correct timeframe, more soon. Jer the fret slots here are cut following the radius of the neck. It wasn't that difficult to do. I also cut several flat fretboards with flat slots, the depth of cut changes on a flat board to be radiused after because you need to compensate for the wood being removed. The curved slots are .040 deep, the flat slots ended uo .110 deep. My cutter is .025 r I got it from grizzly #c1478. thanks, dkw

I got my first picture posted today after months of headbanging and railing against the system. Congrats for your continued success with it! Now, what does that inverter drive on the wall run?

I got my first picture posted today after months of headbanging and railing against the system. Congrats for your continued success with it! Now, what does that inverter drive on the wall run?

On the shop bot website they sell a spindle for their machine that comes with an inverter drive. Its used to vary spindle RPM.