Why's The Fretlesswonder Called The Fretlesswonder

Why is the Fretless Wonder called that name? Doesn't it have frets? I think the guitar also goes by the name Black Beauty.... I can understand that because it is black and looks sweet.

The frets on the Black Beauty/ Fretless Wonder were lower with less crown and IINM substantially wider than the frets on the pre-'54 goldtops. That, combined with the ebony fretboard, made the neck feel much different to previous LPs, hence the moniker.

Edited by lovekraft

You sure those weren't just worn down? I can't imagine Gibson would install flat-topped frets and expect it to play properly. Properly crowning a fret is a baseline standard for fret installation. The pic comes from a page about replacing frets, so it's reasonable to assume that these were at the point at which they were worn down.

Greg

my 70s beatup gibson hummingbird with a martin top (long story, pm me if you want it lol) has those kind of frets. it plays fine to me and i love the sound out of this baby.