Can I Make A Bolt On A Set Neck?

Howdy everyone. I hope posting this here isn't poor form. I've never done any guitar project other than upgrading my pickups, so if this is possible, it is likely out of my league. At any rate, I am curious, would it be possible to take a bolt neck guitar or guitar kit, and attach the neck with glue instead of bolts, and then sand down the joint area so it's smaller and more accessable? If not, is it possible to take a normal bolt on guitar or guitar kit, and sand/trim the joint area so it feels more like a set neck? I know I've seen bolt on guitars that had rounded joints instead of the square ones. I hope posting here wasn't a bother, and if it was, feel free to delete this thread.

Seems like the right place to ask. :D

Disclaimer: I've never done this, and I'm no expert. But, just speaking from plain ol' thought-processing--

Gluing it up, if you can get a perfect pair of surfaces, should be fine... where it gets tricky is if the neck and the pocket aren't as perfectly matched as one would hope. I imagine the amount of surface you're dealing with is still more than they used in many of the Les Paul Jrs and SG's.

As for shaping the heel, why not? I believe there's a tutorial in the main site on creating an all-access-joint from a regular joint on an Ibanez. As long as there's enough structural wood left over (ie. you haven't brought it too thin or too close to the screws), adding some curves shouldn't affect it too much.

Greg

It's possibly to do quite a lot of blending with a bolt on neck. You can't do that same amount that's possible with a set neck, but it's an option. Even if you tried to glue it in (which is completely pointless in my opinion), there's no substantial heel, and thus, nothing to blend. I really can't think of a good reason to glue a bolt on neck in. The whole purpose behind bolt-ons is that if the neck goes south you can replace it. You're going to need a really tight fitting neck pocket to get a good glue joint, too.