Need Opinions: Rg Or Jem?

Hi guys, I'm currently in the process of converting a Strat-type guitar into something similar to an Ibanez RG. It won't be an exact copy, because it can't, but I won't say much more, it's going to be a surprise! I was thinking of painting it Grey Nickel like they do on the RG570. Showing my current progress to one of my students during a lesson, he thought it'd be awesome with a monkey grip. However, this thing has no pickguard, only a bridge humbucker, in a mounting ring, and I really want a Grey Nickel paint job. So, would this look neat or would it be so awkward that everyone would want to puke seeing it? :D I'm pretty much just debating over whether I want a monkey grip or not, but what do you guys think?

I've always felt like monkey grips only look "right" in the RG shape. There's no reason for it, other than tradition. It's like seeing a S/S/S pickup configuration in a Les Paul. It looks odd. But then for some reason, a Strat with 2 hums or P-90s looks okay. The original Ibanez prototype ("green meanie" I think) is more stratty shaped with a monkey grip and I don't like that one either. If it's GN it will look pretty flashy regardless, and that might make the grip look more acceptable. But every time I've seen a grip in anything non-RG it looks off to me. It's not so much about the pickguard either, because some Jems had clear guards. I think it's more the body shape.

thanks for your opinion, I can kind of relate to what you're saying, it makes perfect sense. BTW, I saw the original Green Meanie that Vai used with DLR in the mid 80's at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and it is beat as Hell! I heard one of the roadies would spraypaint the thing in his hotel room shower every couple of shows and cough up green junk later because he wasn't using a resperator mask or proper ventilation. Talk about trashing hotel rooms! Imagine if someone lit up a cigarette!

Anyways, I might try posting this topic on the Jem Site, as well, forgot about them.

And just another note, my dad got lucky the other day and won a pair of tix to see Steve Vai next week! I don't care a whole ton for his music, but for free, I'm in.