Wood, Measurments, Hints?

This is my perdicament..

Im kinda handy with craftmanship stuff..so ive promised my band member to make a body for him...

and i just wanted to ask some "silly" questions =)

Is Oak a bad choice for a body?

his guitarr is gonna play sounds familiar to James Hetfields guitars...

Im a drummer..so im not that kinda knowing what how when what..but im handy guy =)

and i would very much like to know if there is a standard measurment for a regular stock guitar...ive looked around..and the web shop doesnt reviele it =)

tight ass mofos =)

i just want a starting tip so i can get going =)

ive already skissed the guitar..and hes is very pleased...so i want to start right away..but im hindered by the lack of knowledge =)

please help??

Thanx!

:D

go here...

This is my perdicament..

Im kinda handy with craftmanship stuff..so ive promised my band member to make a body for him...

and i just wanted to ask some "silly" questions =)

Is Oak a bad choice for a body?

his guitarr is gonna play sounds familiar to James Hetfields guitars...

Im a drummer..so im not that kinda knowing what how when what..but im handy guy =)

and i would very much like to know if there is a standard measurment for a regular stock guitar...ive looked around..and the web shop doesnt reviele it =)

tight ass mofos =)

i just want a starting tip so i can get going =)

ive already skissed the guitar..and hes is very pleased...so i want to start right away..but im hindered by the lack of knowledge =)

please help??

Thanx!

:D

the search engine doesnt work for my question about Oak...hmm

(i wasn't trying to be a smartass btw)

That answers your question about the oak.. no one uses it.. your other questions though are scattered all throughout the place. Most are fairly common beginner questions. Some are too broad to answer.. Just lurk and search around for a while and you'll find a wealth of knowledge around here.

Best tip i can give you is to buy a book. Melvyn Hiscocks.. it's the guitar bible.. takes you through design, building, etc...

hehe..

np..didnt take offence...

i just wanted some measurements that most people use...

im about to make a model out of cell plastic..

and it struck me that i dont have any measurments..so i just went to this place straight away for some desperate help =)

if you take a standard strat guitarr...what would the measurements be from the top-bottom..left-right?

without the neck..from the balance thingies to the bottom...and left right..just those questions..

and oak was just a general question..

hehe..

np..didnt take offence...

i just wanted some measurements that most people use...

im about to make a model out of cell plastic..

and it struck me that i dont have any measurments..so i just went to this place straight away for some desperate help =)

if you take a standard strat guitarr...what would the measurements be from the top-bottom..left-right?

without the neck..from the balance thingies to the bottom...and left right..just those questions..

and oak was just a general question..

I have no idea.. Bottom line is.. if it's a 25.5" scale guitar, then it's exactly 12.75" from the 12th fret to your bridge.. Take neck heel dimensions, pickup dimenstions, bridge dimensions, lay them out and the body can be whatever as long as it accomodates everything. I think most body blanks are 20x14x1.75.

thanx..that will give me somewhat perspective and a starting hint..

if you are willing to help me a bit further..you are most welcome to have a look at my sketches...if you have the time and if your willing?

please?? =)

You're better off posting sketches to the "in progress" section and you can get everyone's feedback. It's a good place for "what do you think of this" feedback.

Enuf screwing around, I know for a fact that body dimensions aren't anywhere in here. well, they are now! :D

1988 Am. Std. strat

body thickness - 1 3/4"

width across lower bouts - 12 3/4"

width across upper bouts - 11"

length from forward edge of neck pocket to butt - 15 3/4"

length from tip of upper horn to butt - 18"

length from lower horn to butt - 15"

neck pocket - 3" long X 2 1/8" wide X 3/4" deep

The rest, ie. body contours, pickup, control & trem cavities etc. is up to you. have fun

Edited by Southpa