Bass Pot/cap

geonjorjany

...i'm new to the electronics experience, and i've been checking out wiring diagrams and i guess most are for guitars, because one of my better basses has 5 pot's: volume, balencer, bass, middle, treble. i can't find any diagrams for something like this. to get this sort of thing on my current project i think i just need to get a 500k pot for volume, and four 250k pots for the other stuff, and four caps for those. is that right? i don't really know crap about these things. i know a 250k pot with a cap effects tone, but i don't know how to specify one as a balencer, one as a bass, one as mid, and one as treble. am i missing something here? any help would be awesome. thanks a lot...

...i accidentally just posted this in the electronics tutorials section, but i'm not sure how to delete that one, sorry...

Edited by geonjorjany

Well, for someone that's just starting out, this is something that'd be a little tough to do from scratch! You would want to buy an active preamp with an equalizer. It is possible to do it passively as well. The most complexity on that is calculating the frequency and all the junk. If you're strapped for cash or don't want to deal with batteries, let me know and I can make up a diagram, I just need to know the values of the pots you're using and what frequency bands you want cut.

I could design an active one as well.

...okay, i checked out some preamps and i guess i'm going with an Aguilar OBP-3. i don't really know what to look for so this is just a shot in the dark. from the desription i think besides that i just need to get a 500k pot for volume and a dual pot for blend; i don't think i need to buy a capacitor for that do i? does that sound right? there were some diagrams located on the site selling the preamp and i think i get what to do from that for the most part. before i was just more so confused as to how the EQ thing goes. i wasn't sure if i could build one from scratch or not. maybe in the future, i guess i will just try and get this one right for now. i think i'm in the right direction now. if not could someone please let me know. thanks for the help...

Edited by geonjorjany