Easiest Song Of All Time?

borge

thanks eric thats sounds alot like what ive been doing (stressing fingertips, starting with open 5th chords E A D)

with some extra stuff that sounds very helpfull

she does have a bad habit of "palming the neck" ive noticed it leads to not using figertips.

ive been telling her to use her thumb but i dont set a good example ( i try not to "palm" when shes around but once you learn some hendrix you realise the thumb is for freting the e string and not alot else lol)

it sure is a whole different ball game teaching someone so young

with small weak hands

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still palm the neck like a mutha. Lots of self-taught musicians seem to, and whether that's a good thing or not (I vote not) at least I'm in good company. :D

Greg

I know that, i was just trying to say there darn easy if you dont add a 3rd finger,

you should only use 2 fingers for power chords...even for the full 3 string power chords.

watch anyone in metal play them and you will see what i mean.james hetfield is a good example.just flatten your pinky to cover two strings

C'mon, guys, everyone knows the original James Bond theme is the easiest song ever :D. Except for that funky chord at the end. I don't even know it's name.

Sweet Home Alabama for easy open chords.

If I Could Be Like That by Three Doors Down for across-the-guitar melody picking.

I know that, i was just trying to say there darn easy if you dont add a 3rd finger,

you should only use 2 fingers for power chords...even for the full 3 string power chords.

watch anyone in metal play them and you will see what i mean.james hetfield is a good example.just flatten your pinky to cover two strings

You really use your pinky for that??? It's ring finger for me....leaves pinky for PowerChord-sus4.

You really use your pinky for that??? It's ring finger for me....leaves pinky for PowerChord-sus4.

don't know what chord that is...i am no theory buff.

but yes,i do.but i change fingerings depending on the rythm it is tucked into.

for example...the prechorus of "master of puppets" i use the ring finger...it just makes more sense in that particular application.

but it's easier on the hand to use the pinky on frets 1-5...less fatigue for me.

like i said...hetfield does it too.

i'm actually the opposite when i'm playing metal. i don't use the octave because i want to get only the low end of the chord. (by the way, i'm confused as to what you mean by three string barre chords)

plus i like to use power chords in place of single notes for some fast riffing stuff.

green day - good riddance (time of your life)

first song i ever learned

green day - brain stew

one of the easiest power chord songs ever

greg A/D5 its called i think (or i guess u could technically call it an A4th ), yes it is an inversion, the metallica song leper messiah has alot of them if u want a example oh and alot of acdc

only problem with using 2 string power chords for everything is that it makes the music very plain and monotonous.very one dimensional.

and adding an inverted fourth as in ur example cures this?

if you have the fingers, use them all to play the chord, if there's more notes, that's when you start barring some of them to achieve the chord you're going for. when i'm playing metal or any heavy music, i typically play 1-5-8 powerchords, using my index ring and pinky. to add sme flavor, i'll move some fingers around, like making the 8th a M7th with my middle finger, or the 8th a m9th or M9th with my pinky, or lift up my ring finger and barre my index to diminish the 5th to a 4th...you should always learn how to use all your fingers in a chord in different situations, if you get stuck once trying to switch things up, then go back and work on the technique. there's no reason why adding an octave to a 2 finger 5th chord should slow the rhythm down at all. i also use different intervals, as 5ths get mighty boring to the ear, try throwing in some minor and major thirds, put in some real dissonant suspensions here and there, play 4ths..i love tritones, especially with the octave on top, like:

-8-

-7-

-6-

have to use it in the right places for something really edgy and in your face, but i'm a real big fan of leading off powerchords with some 3rds and 4ths.

Edited by Sindlei

OK....2-string D power chord:

--X--

--X--

--X--

--7--

--5--

--X--

3-string D power chord with D-octave

--X--

--X--

--7--

--7--

--5--

--X--

4-string Dmaj (it's why I use the ring finger, barre all 3 across the 7th fret)

--X--

--7-- (maj3rd)

--7--

--7--

--5--

--X--

From this position, it is easy to get to some other common chords:

4-string Dsus4

--X--

--8-- (sus4, pinky)

--7--

--7--

--7--

--5--

--X--

5-string Dm

--5-- first finger barre

--6-- middle (minor 3rd)

--7-- pinky

--7-- ring

--5-- first finger barre

--X--

5-string D2 (or Dsus2)

--5-- first finger barre

--5-- first finger barre (sus2)

--7-- pinky

--7-- ring

--5-- first finger barre

--X--

...is how I do it.

don't get me wrong...like i said depending on the song i do switch up fingerings quite a bit..."panama" for example...

what i usually do is i try to play the song as the artist wrote it....watching hetfield back in the eightees obviously taught me to do my power chords that way...but there are very few applications it does not work well on.

but my fingers are fairly well trained....i use them all

i do disagree about using three fingers for three string power chords...there is no reason..it creates sloppiness at the speeds i play rythm

As much as I love theory discussions, and hate to interrupt them, you guys have to see this:

http://www.kicken.com/audio/Patrick_Kicken...emvsbritney.mp3

The Oasis/GD mesh reminded me of it, and it is by far the most frightening thing I have ever heard. In fact, there is a whole new branch of science devoted to deriving theories from the existence of this phononmenon in the field of Musical Overlay Reciprocality, possibly disproving as many as three separate commonly accepted principles of Newtonian physics and myriad more theories of the modern music industry.

On a side note, I wonder how it fits in to the Grand Unified Theory?

i do disagree about using three fingers for three string power chords...there is no reason..it creates sloppiness at the speeds i play rythm

Indeed....not the way to play metal. Seems to work for the classical guitar players though.

definately true..they do quite well that way...but i think the difference is that in classical guitar you want no interference with the nearby strings that barring would cause.

as i am sure you know,in metal you want to mute the nearby strings as you play to keep the gain from creating noise with them