Please Tell Me The Website Of Headless Gt.

I'm guessing you mean steinberger. steinberger

and while were at it does anyone know where I can buy the hardware for the steinberger? I want to build a headless design but I cant find anywhere that sells the peice that goes on the headstock. I found the tremeolo on steinbergers wite but I cant find the peice that goes on the end of the neck.

Edited by Godin SD

I don't know about a "how to" but a headless instrument is a slave to the hardware thatmakes it possible.. ABM is the biggest manufacturer of the headless hardware (if not the only one) and you can get it at allparts. Go to allparts and type "headless" in the search box. Not cheap. You neck profile and radius just needs to match the head plate and then design your body's bridge area around around the 2 piece bridge, with a cutout to be able to access the fine tuners. For a trem you would need to chek out the trans trem. Been a while since i've played a floyd, i'm not sure the fine tuners have enough travel by them selves to be your only tuners.

Honestly though, I wonder if you need the head plate. You might be able to leave an inch long extension past the nut and use string ferrules to make your string interface. Or glue an ebony plate on the end and route out string channels.

Addition.. Check ebay under "headless ABM" it pulls back two. A good rule of thumb, if allparts, wd or mighty mite sell it, it's 99% likely to be on ebay at 20-40% discount. These are buy it now for 209, retail is 285 so that's not too bad.

I knew a guy who dropped his Fender bass and the head broke off. He was able to salvage enough of the head wood to install ferrules, and he modified the body to put tuners where the tailpiece would normally be. He used the tuners that were on the bass originally, and mounted them so the knobs were straight out at the end of the body. He couldn't lean the guitar up against something anymore because it would be resting on the tuners, but it was playable. If he could make it work from a broken bass, I'm sure it can be built from scratch to be even better.

ABM doesn't seem to make a headless trem unit, though, which is a real bummer.

MusicYo.com sells some of the more expensive Steinberger trem units, but the cheap one is "out of stock" (yeah, right... just like the EZ-bender).

If anyone has any more ideas, I'm sure there are at least a handful of us who are thinking of headless guitar projects.

Greg

An entry for GOTM about two months ago was a travel guitar with a mandoin-shaped body. It used a regular lock nut and a TOM with fine tuners. The fine tuners evidently have enough range if you pull the string with pliers to create some tension as you lock the nut.

And please look at my thread below on "ergonomic ala klein" -- they are headless also.

Maybe this wouldn't work but I just thought of something. Couldn't you use a TOM and the new Steinberger tuners that StewMac sells? You'd have to rig a place for the tuners, but that wouldn't be very hard at all.

YES! Those tuners seem like quite the breakthrough (never touched 'em myself, though)...

See what Todd Keehn did with them a while ago (the whole site is quite interesting, btw):

49abc180.jpg

736c0e80.jpg