Effect Pedals And How To Hook Them Up

i know hendrix used to like to run his guitar into the fuzz pedal and then into his waw waw and then into his amp so i was wondering is their a better way to run my pedals or is thier a proper way to run my pedals? right now i have my guitar into my digi tech muli effect pedal into my digitech metal master into my zakk wylde overdrive then into my amp?

Different effects belong in different places.

Stuff like distortion and compression should be between the guitar and the amp.

Delays, reverbs and such, should be in the FX loop.

The order of your effects also make a difference.

Some are important, some are just a matter of taste....

EQ-based effects like Wah should go before distortion.

Distortion goes before the amp (distortion comes from amp preamp too).

Time-based effects like flange, chorus & delay go after distortion, ideally in the amp's effects loop, or if miking or directing, between your rig and the house PA or recording console.

The reason is that EQ affects the color of distortion profoundly and gives you control of your tone. And you want the noise of distortion to be part of what gets bent by the delay and stuff.

That's the classic way to do it, obviously there are no rules but in general that will get you the most from your rig.

there isn't really a right or wrong way to hook effects up. personally i much prefer the effect of a wah after a distortion pedal since putting it before hardly affects the sound to my ears. this may be just with my set up tho (Vox Reissue Wah with output buffer mod into a Boss DS-1)

ive been finding that putting a short slap back kind of delay at the begining of the chain to be good for glitchy skipping type sounds but thats clearlly an aquired taste. ordinarilly delay or reverb before distortion doesnt sound that great.

id just play around, my effects chain isnt really an ordinarry guitar players rig, 3 out of 6 pedals are pitch shifters of some sort